How to Connect Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 to PC via USB Cable

Here is how to connect your smartphone Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 to the PC / laptop via USB cable to transfer the data on the smartphone to PC or vice versa (photos, musics, files, etc.). and also connects internet connection to PC. if you've been experiencing problem in doing so, here's how to solve it.

This method is also used if you want to do flashing, replace ROM, or other things that require a smartphone connected to the computer. This tutorial also works and could be applied to other types of Xiaomi smartphones.

The problem is in licensing for a crossing data from the phone to the PC, or, more specifically, is on the USB debugging that located in the developer options on the smartphone. Make sure that you use the original USB cable from Xiaomi or equivalent in quality to that.
How to Connect Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 to PC Computers via USB Cable

Let! us directly to the problem, and solve on how to connect your Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 to PC via USB Cable.

# 1 Enable Developer Mode

You can not enable USB Debugging feature before activating the smartphone in Developer Mode in the following ways:
  1. Log in to the >Settings in your Xiaomi phone, then go to >About Phone.
  2. Find "MIUI version", next to it you will find the information about the ROM version is being used by your smartphone (example: Global MIUI 8.0 | Stable) tap that text 7-12 times to pull out the pop up info "you are now a developer".
How to Connect Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 to PC Computers via USB Cable

# 2 Turn on USB Debugging

Once you have enabled Developer features, the new additional menu will appear, named Developer Options, and then we can enable USB Debugging by:
  1. Go back to >Settings Then go to the >Additional Settings
  2. Then open selection >Developer Options
  3. Find "USB debugging" then enable the feature (by tapping once on the selection)
How to Connect Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 to PC Computers via USB Cable

Done!

Once finished enabling USB debugging feature, then you can connect directly to a PC or a computer with a USB cable and you can access the data stored on the smartphone through PC.

have an issue?

If still unsuccessful and not detected, make sure you have installed the Xiaomi PC Suite  (Mi PC Suite) on your computer (PC). And make sure the cable used is a standard cable to connect the smartphone to the computer and not the cheap cable which allows charging only.

Hopefully this article on how to connect the Smartphone Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 to a computer via a USB cable can help you guys, if you have questions or problems please let us know in the comments field below. #beWiseUser

Related Articles:

Related Posts

Next Post »

72 comments

Write comments
13 November 2016 at 13:31 delete

i am not finding DEVELOPER OPTION on additional setting

13 November 2016 at 22:48 delete

make sure you activate the developer mode with tapping MIUI version (as stated above) and you see the "you are now developer" words show up. before that the developer option will not show.
hope it help

3 January 2017 at 23:12 delete

I did all of the above including istalling the suite and I still can't connect my redmi note 4 to the pc in order to transfer files. It only appears as a charger.

4 January 2017 at 11:04 delete

did you see the pop up info on notification about connection with USB? first it will shown 'charging only' but if you tap on that info you can change it as storage also. hope it help.

12 January 2017 at 11:12 delete

I did everything above and still could not connect it successfully.

17 January 2017 at 11:09 delete

After following step-1 and step-2, I have connected my phone Via USB, It was showing device is connecting, but after 20% done showing a message like 'update your device'. what should I do?

20 January 2017 at 15:57 delete

seems you are still using an old version of software (ROM). you can update it via Updater app in the xiaomi app first.

2 February 2017 at 20:00 delete

Nazmul Islam, one last step: After you connect your phone to your computer and it shows under Windows "Devices and Drives", while your phone is still connected, from the HOME screen, swipe down on your phone to reveal the settings menu. You should see your USB settings. Enable "MTP transfer" and you are good to go. You can now use right-click > Send To in windows to transfer files to your phone. It will even tell you where it is sending it. In most cases the Apps detect the files. Like I transferred a video file and my VLC media player picked it up automatically.

4 February 2017 at 13:24 delete

Thanks Xemic. Hope it also help the other with same problem.

25 February 2017 at 14:25 delete

Thanks you xemic its working for .. i can bale to connect my device to my pc

7 March 2017 at 18:13 delete

thanks for the testimony there :D

21 March 2017 at 12:44 delete

I have tried all the mentioned opt. Still unable to connect

22 March 2017 at 23:30 delete

Have you try solution from xemic in the previous comment? Hope it will help

25 March 2017 at 13:13 delete

direct connect redmi note 4 USB modem from OTG cable. it is possible.

25 March 2017 at 21:01 delete

Actually I'm not too understand what you mean but if you are asking about using extended cable to connect it to PC, YES it is possible as long as it connected correctly. hope it will help.

24 April 2017 at 10:41 delete

You are welcome Vinoth, glad it help :)

27 April 2017 at 20:46 delete

Thanks Dude. It is working !!! |o|

28 April 2017 at 02:40 delete

Glad to hear that. You are welcome and congratulation!

29 April 2017 at 21:38 delete

Hi there, i am using redmi note 4 and my album pics are not shown on pc when i use usb and how can i transfer the files n picture over? Thanks.

30 April 2017 at 23:30 delete

have you try to install Mi PC Suite first before connecting your phone?

1 May 2017 at 09:43 delete

I have tried but no used. Any other ways? Thanks

7 May 2017 at 20:27 delete

How about activating developer option on the settings menu? have you try it?

11 May 2017 at 22:22 delete

Than you so much! I have been struggling whit this for quite some time now. <3 <3 <3

17 May 2017 at 23:45 delete

Hi Rindi,
Actually my redmi note 4 was updated to new version, While connected to the adapter its get charged without any disconnection but while with USB to PC it get connected for 2s and again disconnected and next 2s its get connected and again disconnected,
I dont know whats the problem! can you please help me out

19 May 2017 at 02:36 delete

Since you stated that it was updated to a new version, it could be the reason of your problem, not updated perfectly.

but other way you can try to use another charger to test it, or sometimes the connector between your charger and electric hub is the problem. hope it will help.

20 May 2017 at 18:50 delete

Thank you. It is working after enableing mtp mode.

21 May 2017 at 00:15 delete

You are Welcome. Glad to hear that my friend. :D

23 May 2017 at 09:52 delete

Hi Rindi,
I was just given a Redmi note 4x and I am trying to copy media files from Redmi to Windows 7 PC. I followed your instructions to the letter. My PC sees / recognises device Redmi but when I click it, there are no files nothing, I then downloaded MI PC suite and installed it sucessfully on the same PCC but MI PC suite doesn't recognise my device and keep saying NO DEVICES Connected. Please help, much appreciated.

Mai

23 May 2017 at 12:38 delete

Hello Mai,
Have you try Xemic step on the comment above?
I believe you need to try what he said on the comment, just search for 'xemic' on this page then you will find his comment about extended step to connect your phone, it worked to some reader here. hope it will help you too.. :D
Let me know for the result.

23 May 2017 at 17:52 delete

It works for me too, thanks to you Rindi and Xemic. Somehow I missed crucial Xemic comments. This is what i did.
1) Follow Rindis' instructions, once the Redmi phone is connected (check windows Computer root directory to see if the device Redmi is there)
2) While the phone is connected - select Settings then Additional settings then swipe down the phone to reveal USB for File transfer-Click this to select transfer files (MTP option)-voila you should be able to access files on Redmi.
Alternatively, go to Windows Devices Printers panel, select MTP device icon, right click will get you browsing file on the phone.
MI PC suite still doesn't work for me. Thanks again guys , hope this doesn't confuse anybody.

23 May 2017 at 20:04 delete

Yup! Happy to hear that. congratulation for the result and thank you for sharing your experience here, enjoy your transfer moment :D

1 June 2017 at 16:19 delete

Hey I own a Redmi 4 it doesn't connect to my pc I tried all the methods described here(01/06/17) still cannot connect it only connects to photo transfer setting but not the MTP setting

11 June 2017 at 10:33 delete

hello, i updated my xiaomi redmi 4x, however after the update, the phone asked for my pattern lock password despite of not having one because i used the fingerprint security. how can i access my phone? the phone is also not recognized by my laptop. i need you help badly. thank you

11 June 2017 at 11:33 delete

I tried to all but device not show in MiPCSuit, its says update ur device but i have already updated deivec

11 June 2017 at 22:40 delete

I did all the above settings but still it shows me to update my device....

17 June 2017 at 07:31 delete

I think you are 1 step closer to MTP setting. have you tap on the notification pop up and choose the MTP option?

17 June 2017 at 07:39 delete

Hello Eugene, in my experience I just need to put my finger on the scanner as usual even the screen show the pattern lock.

it's normal when you just updated your OS the settings will set to default, which mean that the USB debugging also turned off. You need to unlock and activate the USB debugging again. hope it will help

17 June 2017 at 07:42 delete

17 June 2017 at 07:55 delete

Hello Arvind As I said on my previous comment, Sometimes that error come up, and from the xiaomi forum it says that they are still working to fix that problem with MiPCSuite. Some people says that you still can access your phone file from the file explorer. hope that also help you

25 June 2017 at 00:44 delete

I recently updated my Note 4 before that i was facing connection porblem when connected to pc it kept disconnecting and connecting again and again. But it also stopped later but after i updated the phone with latest OTA update. It started to freak out even when put on charge it was disconnecting and Now i cant connect it to PC AT ALL. It just charges or worst it keeps disconnecting then too.
I tried the debugging method No success.
I tried PC suite No success.\
now it is fine when connected to charger brick but it only charges when connected to pc too
there is no Option written "USB connected touch to see options" in slide down menu
PLSSS HELP its very annoying i havent tried going to Service centre yet that is the last resort.
PLSSS REPLYY

26 June 2017 at 01:47 delete

HI. I did all the noted steps here. After all this, when i try to copy files from my PC to redmi 4, i'm getting an error saying that,"your device may not be able to view or play this file". Please help.

27 June 2017 at 22:26 delete

I am not sure whether you can turned ON the USB debugging option but if you already tried all the steps and keep facing the same problem, I think you need to try to change the USB cable (wire) or try it to different PC.
Hope it will help and let me know for the result. :D

27 June 2017 at 22:31 delete

It seems that you succeed to connect your redmi 4 in to PC. and the next problem is the file type. I am not sure that you can ignore that warning, but it might just about the file extension. try to change the extension of the file to a common filetype like from >.mkv< to >.mp4< for video.
hope it help. let me know for the result. :D

29 June 2017 at 13:18 delete

It somehow worked I had switched my phone off and when it turned on i was able to connect it to pc i can see debugging mode on and usb connected option too
Turning on Debuging mode wasnt working for me earlier but it worked somehow later so ill say keep trying enabling and disabling debug mode itll work eventually

29 June 2017 at 17:31 delete

glad to hear that.. sometimes restart the phone and a little more 'try again' could make a different.

Thanks for coming back and sharing us the result, I am sure it could help the others too with the same case especially. :D

4 July 2017 at 19:19 delete

My name is Gouveris Sotirios.I Have already done everything that is written in this article.I have already installed Xiaomi PC Suite , I have done the update (my phone informs me that no update is needed BUT the problem is when i connect my phone to the PC via the usb cable the MI PC Suite tells me that i need to update my device."You need to updateyour device to use Mi pc suite,Update your device before connecting" are the exact words.Please can you help.

5 July 2017 at 11:03 delete

Hi Gouveris, Sometimes that error come up, and from the Xiaomi forum it says that they are still working to fix that problem with MiPCSuite. Some people says that you still can access your phone file from the file explorer. hope that also help you

14 July 2017 at 20:02 delete

I experienced the same thing as Gouveris. The MiPC Suite asked me to update my phone but there's no update available. I cam see the list of my files on the file explorer but I can't copy files from my pc to my redmi note 4X. Can you solve this?

20 July 2017 at 19:15 delete

I cannot connect my Redmi Note 4X to my MacBook Pro. I tried the developer mode but the phone still doesn't show up on my laptop. Can anyone please help? Thanks so much!

24 July 2017 at 11:24 delete

Thanks Rindi. This helped me.

24 July 2017 at 14:09 delete

Not sure about that but Have you activate the USB debugging option? Sometimes it turned off automatically.

sometimes you only need to try again, I found that some reader here succeed to connect their phone on the seconds try. hope it help.

24 July 2017 at 14:14 delete

Dear Dalida,
did you also activated the USB debugging after that? activating the developer mode is the way to access on the debugging option, don't forget to activate that. hope it help

30 July 2017 at 01:31 delete

Hi, i am facing similar problem. I am able to trasfer pdf files from pc to note 4 but any kind of video file nothing is happening. I am stuck.

1 August 2017 at 13:08 delete

Hello Nishant!
is there any specific type of video that can't be transferred? have you try to transfer /copy the common format file of video such as mp4 or 3gp?

5 August 2017 at 05:57 delete

yow thanks a lot man. I was worried sick. I just bought this phone last weekend

5 August 2017 at 22:34 delete

Yup! happy to hear that bro, you are welcome! Enjoy! :)

12 August 2017 at 03:26 delete

I have done both things but it's not working but my phone is connecting to my friend's pc

15 August 2017 at 02:42 delete

thanks for your comment and I believe we agree now that the problem is in your pc, instead of your smartphone. :)

19 August 2017 at 11:10 delete

You are welcome incognito :) thanks for giving back your testimoni.

25 August 2017 at 20:47 delete

You are welcome bro, happy to share! Thanks for your testimony :)

5 September 2017 at 14:07 delete

Thanks you help me solve this long time problem. Now I can re-arrange my phone photos to PC :)

10 September 2017 at 10:34 delete

Yup! another success result, congratulation there, happy to share with you and thanks for your testimony :)

24 September 2017 at 19:16 delete

you can find it through google, just type "download mi pc suite" or you can go directly to their official site >> http://pcsuite.mi.com/ << hope it help :)