Here is how to always on top of videos in the chrome browser. This way you will still be able to watch online videos on other websites such as YouTube while opening other tabs or other programs on your PC or laptop.
This way you no longer need to switch tabs or applications while you're working on something but still want to watch online videos that are set to always appear on the top window. For example, you can still do tasks in the Microsoft Word application while watching videos on YouTube on a small part of your monitor screen.
In this way, you can also adjust the location and size of the window or video being played. So if your view is blocked by the location or placement of the video being played (because it is always on top) you can immediately drag the video to any location you want.
There are 2 main steps 2 that you have to do, first, you have to install the extension from the Chrome Web Store. Second, you have to enable it on the videos you want to play and set it as 'always on top'.
Install the extension in the browser
Before going to the steps to make an online video play with the always-on-top setting, you must first install an extension in the browser. This method is only done once, so you can go directly to the method below.
- First, please open the Chrome Web Store website page at the following link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions
- Furthermore, in the search field, please search or type "picture in picture by google" then click >Enter
- Several extension options will appear, please select the official extension directly from Google with the name Picture-in-picture Extension by Google (If you don't find it, you can immediately click this link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/picture -in-picture-extens/hkgfoiooedgoejojocmhlaklaeopbecg)
- Next, please click the button >Add to Chrome. Please continue to confirm by pressing the Add extension button. Wait a few moments for the extension to install perfectly.
- On the Chrome browser toolbar, please click the extension icon until the advanced menu appears
- Click the extension settings button that is located. Look for the installed Picture in picture by Google extension then click the button >Pin so that the extension icon always appears on the browser toolbar.
As mentioned above, you only need to install this extension once. If it is installed, you only need to press the extension icon to activate it. For the tutorial please follow the instructions below.
How to always on top of videos in the chrome browser
If the extension has been successfully installed as in the method above, please continue with the process below so that the video you are watching on the other tab is always above (always on top). I will give an example using the video on the youtube website.
- Open the video page you want to watch. In this example, I will watch one of the videos on YouTube
- Please >play the video as usual
- Next >click the picture in picture icon in the extension section (top-right). The currently playing video will automatically open in a separate player and will automatically have an always-on-top setting.
- Alternatively, you can directly press the shortcut "Alt + P" to immediately activate the always-on-top video feature in this chrome browser.
- If the video already opens in a new window, please try >opening another tab or another application on the computer. If successful, the video that is currently playing will always be in the top position, aka always on top.
- You can drag (slide) the video to the position you want so as not to interfere with your other work. And you can also resize the video by dragging the corners of the screen out and in to zoom in and out.
Done. This way you can still watch your favorite videos while doing school or office assignments without having to go back and forth windows to watch the video.
What about other websites besides Youtube?
This extension can also be used on other video provider websites. So far, I have only been able to test on Youtube and my TV cable website, and both can be set always on top. The method is the same, you can press the picture in picture icon or you can press the shortcut "Alt + P".
For other websites, it also seems possible and there are no problems, except maybe some websites that are not well known by the Google system. But whatever the website is, please just try it right away.
The cons f picture in picture by Google extension
There are several things you need to know. First, to be able to adjust the speed, skip, or video resolution, it must be done directly from the original video page, not from the video in the always-on-top window. In the picture-in-picture player, there are only play/pause and back buttons (to the original tab).
This application is only for videos on a page, not for the page. So if you want a website page to always be on top, it can't, because it's not a video.
Overall for me personally this extension is sufficient and provides a solution to my needs who want to watch videos on YouTube but also want to simultaneously open other applications while watching them (multitasking).
Hopefully, this tutorial or discussion about how to always on top videos in the Chrome browser is useful. If you have questions, please save them in the comments column below. Thanks. Remain a wise user! #beWiseUser!