Here is how to compress PDF files to a very small size. In this way, the size of your PDF file that was large can become very small and can be reduced to 60% or even 90% of the original size. For example, if the original PDF file size is 700kb, it will be compressed to under 350kb and even under 50kb. For the tutorial, please follow the steps in this article.
Before going to the steps, let me remind you again that somehow compressing any file will make the quality lower. For example, if we compress a pdf file containing documents such as a diploma, the writings there will look a little blurry or not sharp after compressing them into a smaller file size.
However, as long as the writing can still be read after being compressed, it will not be a problem because the information contained in the PDF file can still be conveyed.
This method is usually used for files that want to be sent via email or other online channels. Usually, the company or recipient of the file provides a maximum limit on the size of the PDF file that can be sent, if the file is too large it will usually be rejected and cannot be sent.
How to compress PDF files to a very small size
There are several websites that I have tried, but they are not strong enough to provide extreme compression results or are very small. Some can offer strong/extreme compression but are paid.
Finally yesterday I found a compression website that is good enough to provide a very small file size, at least it meets the minimum file size standards that I need. For the tutorial, please follow the steps below.
I am sure, in the future, there will be many websites that can do strong compression and for free, but for now the pdf2go website is very reliable in my opinion.
- Prepare a PDF file that you want to compress or reduce its size
- open the website https://www.pdf2go.com/compress-pdf (please notify me via the comments column if the link is error / inaccessible)
- Click the button >Choose File until an explorer window opens. Then find and select the PDF file that you want to reduce its size. Or you can also drag and drop PDF files directly from explorer to the "drop files here" column.
- Wait for the file upload process to complete.
- Next, please select >Strong Compression for maximum compression results
- Finally, please click the button >Start. Wait for the compression process to finish and the system downloads the files automatically.
- Please open the default download folder to open the reduced size PDF file.
In my opinion, this Strong Compression option is enough to reduce PDF files that contain text or writing such as diplomas or other important documents. Although the compression is strong, the resulting quality is still acceptable and the writings in the file can still be read (except for very small text).
Not small enough? Try the method below
If the compressed file size is still not small, please do extreme compression in the way below. This way your PDF file will be scaled down to a very small size but has a big impact on the quality or final appearance of the file.
- Prepare the original PDF file that you want to compress (don't use compressed files)
- open the website https://www.pdf2go.com/compress-pdf (same as the link in the above tutorial)
- Click the button >Choose File until an explorer window opens (as above). Please find and select the PDF file that you want to reduce the size. Or you can also drag and drop PDF files directly from explorer to the "drop files here" column.
- As usual. Wait for the file upload process to complete.
- Next, please select >Choose from a preset.
- Then in the Choose from a preset column, please choose between >Insane quality (20dpi) or >Minimum quality (40dpi). I suggest you try both options and then compare the results yourself.
- When finished setting, click the button >Start and wait for the compression process to finish and the system downloads the files automatically as before.
- Finally, go to the default download folder to open compressed PDF files.
Don't forget to check the compressed file before sending/uploading it. It could be that the file is a small size, but the quality of the image/text in the file becomes very blurry or even becomes unreadable.
Keep in mind that the compression results also have limits, so we can't force a small file size but want the same quality. If it still not meet your minimum size or the quality is not acceptable, you can try by dividing the document file into several parts.
Hopefully, this tutorial on how to compress PDF files so that they are very small size is useful. If you have questions, please save them in the comments column below. Remain a wise user!