The following is how to turn off autocorrect in Corel Draw. The most common example is changing the writing of The to Teh. These small errors or problems often arise when we are making designs for cafes or menus in restaurants. Then how do we keep our writing from changing automatically in CorelDraw?
How to turn off autocorrect in Corel Draw like how to turn THE into TEH. In almost all versions of Corel Draw, please open the Quick Correct section in the Writing Tools menu then please turn off or disable the "Replace text section while typing".
Tu put in context, I'm from Indonesia and in here we type "teh" for "tea". So, everytime we type teh, the it will trigger autocorrect and change it to "the" automatically. You may have the same problem with various words like mine (teh) so I made this tutorial.
When you want to write Sweet Teh (sweet tea), the system will "correct" the text becomes "Sweet The". This looks okay from the side of the correction system in the CorelDraw application because basically, the application uses English as the reference language so, in English when we write "Teh" it will be considered a typo and 'assisted' is changed automatically by the system to "The" (English).
While in Indonesia, the word 'teh' has its own meaning, according to the Indonesian dictionary, teh (tea) is a small tree, that grows in the wild, the leaves are oval or oval in shape, the shoots are withered and dried to make drinks. And among graphics designers, the word teh is often encountered when making menu lists or food-themed posters such as Sweet Tea, Hot Tea, Iced Tea, etc.
Therefore, we as CorelDraw users in Indonesia need to make a few changes to the autocorrect section of the application. For the complete tutorial, please follow the steps below.
Also read: How to Dark Mode in Corel DRAW
How to turn off Autocorrect in Corel Draw - Change THE to TEH
This method can be applied starting from Corel Draw version 10 to the latest version such as Corel Draw 2021 or later. For Corel Draw under version 10, please see the tutorial below.
- Please open the Corel Draw application as usual
- Open the menu >Text until an additional menu appears
- Move the mouse on the >Writing Tools sub-menu until a new sub-menu appears
- Next, please open or select >QuickCorrect until the settings window opens
- Please disable or turn off the "Replace text while typing" section (uncheck or uncheck this setting) then click the >OK button.
- Done. Please try again to write the words that will activate autocorrect such as writing the word "Teh" then click Enter. If successful the words "teh" will not change to "the" as before.
What if the QuickCorrect setting in CorelDraw is missing?
In some versions or updates, you may not be able to find the Quick Correct settings in the Text sub-menu. For an alternative, please follow the steps below.
- Open the menu > Tools until an additional menu appears
- Select >Options until the settings window opens (or you can just press Ctrl+J)
- Continue by selecting the sub-menu >Text
- Click the small arrow to bring up a sub-menu in the Text section then select Settings >QuickCorrect
- Please disable or turn off the >"Replace text while typing" section (uncheck or uncheck this setting) then click the >OK button.
- Done. Please try again to write words that will activate autocorrect such as writing the word "Teh" then click Space or Enter. If successful the words "teh" will not change to "the" as before.
An alternative way to turn off autocorrect in the Corel Draw version 7, 8, 9, and others
- Open the menu >Text until an additional menu appears
- Select >Writting Tools
- Continue by selecting the sub-menu >Type Assists
- Please disable or turn off the >"AutoCorrect" section (uncheck or uncheck this setting) then click the >OK button.
- Done. You can immediately try writing words that will activate autocorrect such as writing the word "Teh" then clicking Space or Enter. If successful the words "teh" will not change to "the" as before.
What if the Text Menu cannot be clicked/selected?
There are several reasons why sub-menus in Text cannot be selected. One of them is because there is no project or worksheet open.
The solution, please open one of the existing Corel Draw worksheets or files. If one of the projects is already open, please reopen the text menu section, if successful, all options or sub-menus will be active and can be selected.
To open a project or create a new project, please follow the steps below:
- Please open the Corel Draw application
- Click menu >File
- Then select the menu >Open Recent to open several projects or files that have previously been opened. Please click/select one of the files that appear. Wait until the file opens completely
- If when opening the Open Recent menu there is no file that can be selected, then please change to >File >New. Wait until the new worksheet opens completely
- Finally, please try again to open the menu >Text
What if the method above doesn't work? If after opening the work page (project) in Corel draw but the menu options still can't be selected (blurry), there may be a license or activation problem.
Please open the account section and check whether the Corel Draw application you are using has been activated or not. If it says not-activated or not registered, it means you have to activate the account/application first.
Now we no longer need to bother buying at a dollar exchange rate to Corel websites abroad, Corel licenses are now widely sold in online stores such as Tokopedia and Shopee, please select the account type or Corel version as needed.
How about the Corel Photo-Paint application or other Corel applications?
For other Corel applications such as Corel Photo-Paint, Corel Capture, Corel Connect, and other Corel family applications, you do not need to make any settings. All AutoCorrect settings follow the settings in the Corel Draw application above.
So if we have disabled the auto-correct function in the Corel Draw application, then other applications will follow to turn off the auto-correct function. For example in Corel Photo paint, I didn't find the auto-correct function working and it didn't autocorrect when I typed tea as above.
Actually, I have also tested activating auto-correct in the Corel Draw application and tried to write tea in the Corel photo-paint application. And as a result, in the Photo-paint application, there is no auto-correct system like in the Corel Draw application. So actually in the Corel Photo-paint application, there is no auto-correct feature. At least in the 2018 version of Corel Draw that I use.
Although the popularity of Corel is not as big as the Adobe application, it comes back to each other's preferences, because the application is actually just a tool. Ideas and results are highly dependent on the user. And until now I myself am still comfortable using the Corel application to edit images or posters.
Hopefully, this article on how to turn off autocorrect in Corel Draw is useful. If you have any questions, please save them in the comments column below as usual. Keep being a wise user! #beWiseUser!