The following is how to install the Formula 1 schedule on the phone calendar and it will update automatically every year. Not only will it update every year, but even if there is a sudden schedule change, the system will also follow the latest schedule from the official F1.
How to add a Formula 1 schedule to the phone calendar is very easy. First, we have to get a link or file in "ics" format then we install or sync the official schedule from the internet to the calendar application that is connected to a Google (Android) or Apple (iOS) account.
This method can be applied both on iOS (iPhone) or Android, the important thing is that the event owner provides a file or calendar that can be integrated with Apple/Google calendar. In this example, we will download a file or open a special link provided by the official F1 so that we can add the official schedule to the calendar on the cellphone.
The Formula 1 race schedule in the calendar application on this cellphone will also automatically update or update every year, so we don't have to bother changing the race schedule every year. If there is a schedule that is changed or canceled, there will also be a notification on the calendar or schedule changes to adjust to the new schedule.
How to add Formula 1 Schedule to Our Phone Calendar (via Browser)
This method can be applied both on a PC and on a cellphone, the important thing is that the computer or smartphone you are using has a browser application and an internet connection. There may be some differences in the display due to adjusting to the screen size, but in principle, all the steps are the same.
For those of you who use a computer / PC screen more than a cellphone, this method can help speed up the process of adding a schedule because after this method is successfully done, the racing schedule will also automatically appear on the calendar on your cellphone/smartphone.
- Please open the browser then continue by opening the Gmail.com page
- Please login to the email you use in the Gmail application on your cellphone.
- Next, please open the official formula 1 website page (formula1.com) in a new tab
- On the main page of the Formula 1 website, please open/select the > Schedule menu (on the cellphone display you may need to click the Menu button (three lines in a row) first in order to open the Schedule page). If the schedule page is already open, please click the button > SYNC CALENDAR (usually on the right side of the screen) then a pop-up menu will appear, please > select the platform you are using (Apple/Google/Outlook), in this example I use an Android phone, so I chose Google.
- The system will automatically open the Google Calendar page in a new tab, then a confirmation popup will appear to add the Formula 1 schedule to the calendar, please click the button > Add. If successful a new item will appear in the Other calendars section in this example named "2022 FIA Formula One World Championship Race Calendar".
- Please check the contents of the calendar, if successful, all series of events in each formula 1 race will appear according to the official date, such as the schedule for Free Practice, Qualification, Sprint Race, Main Race. etc.
I personally use this method and until now never had a problem. It's been 3 years and the race schedule is always updated automatically every year.
The schedule is installed but does not appear on the phone calendar?
If you have successfully added a Formula 1 schedule via a browser but the same schedule does not appear on your cellphone, you must synchronize the data from the Formula 1 schedule that was just added. For the steps, please follow the tutorial below.
- In the Calendar application on your cellphone, please click the button > Menu (the three-line icon at the top-left), then select menu > Settings (settings)
- Please scroll and look for the formula 1 calendar item, usually named "FIA Formula One Championship Race Calendar". Click the item until the item settings page appears, please click/activate in the > Sync section.
- If successful, the formula 1 schedule for the next year will appear in the calendar. Please check again.
How to add F1 Schedule to smartphone calendar (via File)
- Please open a browser then open the following link: https://www.formula1.com/calendar/Formula_1_Official_Calendar.ics
- If successful, the browser will automatically download a special file for the calendar application on the cellphone. The file contains the formula 1 schedule for one season / one year ahead.
- If the file has been downloaded successfully, please click/open the file, on Smartphones in general if the file is clicked/opened a pop-up menu will appear and ask us to choose the application that we will use, please select the application> Calendar.
- The system will automatically open the calendar application then a confirmation popup will appear whether we really want to add a schedule to the file? Please confirm by clicking the Yes/Add button.
- If successful, all formula 1 race schedules for the next year will appear complete with free practice schedules, qualifications, and sprint races (if any).
How about the time zone difference in each race?
The time zone used in the F1 calendar corresponds to the time zone on the phone. So if we are in the Indonesian time zone, then all the schedules in the calendar will use the Indonesian time zone.
For example, the Formula 1 race at the British GP (Silverstone, UK) is scheduled at 15:00 - 17:00 local time, but in Indonesia, the time is 21:00 - 23:00. Then what is displayed on the calendar is 21:00 - 23:00, according to the time zone of the smartphone owner.
So, don't be confused anymore, if the calendar is different from what is written on the Instagram/TikTok poster or other news, because the poster usually refers to the local time where the race is located, while the calendar shows the time in the country of the smartphone owner.
It's changed seasons, why isn't there a new schedule yet? Even though on the official website it is already there.
Usually, if the website calendar shows the schedule for the new season, the phone calendar should also change. However, updates on the smartphone calendar can also be late, this also happens when the season changes from 2021 to 2022, which has entered race week but the F1 racing calendar on phone has not been updated.
However, when it is time for qualifying, the calendar has also been updated with the new season schedule. In my personal opinion, this is just a technical thing in the formula 1 team, maybe they forgot to update or it was intentionally updated at the last minute.
Alternative if the above method doesn't work
If you can't wait to get a new formula 1 schedule (because usually, the schedule is from official updates at the last minute) or want to also add other additional schedules such as Formula 2, F3, W Series, Indycar, etc. Please follow the method below.
- Open the following link: https://f1calendar.com/generate
- On the website page, please select any schedule you want to add such as Free Practice, Qualifying, Sprint, Gand Prix (Race), etc.
- Furthermore, if you want to add a reminder before a race or other schedule, please activate/check the Set a reminder section.
- If you are sure with the options above, please click the button > Get Calendar.
- The browser will download the Formula 1 calendar file as above.
- Please add the file to the calendar application on your cellphone (as above).
- Done. If successful, the formula 1 schedule for the next year can already be seen in the calendar application on the cellphone.
NOTE: I've never tried using a file from this method for more than one season, so I don't know if the schedule also updates (every year) or has to download a new one every season. But the rest is the same as the official F1 calendar.
How to make the race schedule appear in the notification as a reminder
By default, the Formula 1 race schedule in the calendar will only appear in the notification at the same time as the schedule. So if we forget that there is a race that day at 8 pm, a notification will also appear at 8 pm (no reminder before the schedule).
If you want to get reminder notifications such reminders, please follow the steps below.
- In the Calendar application, please click the button > Menu (the three-line icon at the top-left), then select menu > Settings (settings)
- Please scroll and look for the formula 1 calendar item, usually labeled "FIA Formula One Championship Race Calendar". Click the item until the item settings page appears
- Please find the Event notifications section then click on the text > Add notification. Advanced notification settings will appear.
- In advanced notification settings, please set notifications as needed, such as how many minutes/hours before the schedule you want to be reminded, you can also request notifications via email if necessary.
- Done, the system will save the settings automatically.
Can the calendar be shared with other people?
Yes. The calendar file that has been downloaded above can be directly copied or shared with other users, and other users only need to add the file to the Google Calendar application (if using Android) on their smartphone. Next, please follow the method I have mentioned above.
If you use the synchronization method (the first method) then the schedule cannot be shared with other users because we do not have raw files/data that can be shared.
How do I delete all race schedules from the calendar?
If you want to delete all race schedules, please follow the steps below.
- In the Calendar application, please click the button > Menu (the three-line icon at the top-left), then select menu > Settings
- Click the formula 1 calendar item ("FIA Formula One Championship Race Calendar") until the item settings page appears.
- Please scroll to the bottom and in the Remove calendar option, please click on the text > Unsubscribe.
- Done, if successful, all formula 1 schedule will disappear from the calendar on your cellphone.
How do I add the official schedule of another championship/sport?
This method can actually be applied to all activities or any schedule, including any race series, any sport, even any event, the important thing is that we have a link or file to the championship schedule.
For example, if I want to add the match schedule for the Real Madrid football club then I will go to the official Real Madrid website and look for the option to add the match schedule to the calendar on my cellphone (as above).
Hopefully, this article on how to add a formula 1 schedule to our phone calendar is useful. If you have any questions, please save them in the comments column as usual. Keep being a wise user! #beWiseUser!